The Old Library Day Nursery, Cubbington Road, Leamington Spa
Materials and snacks included. (If paying upfront is difficult. Please contact me for other options)
Maximum 10 per group
These two-hour workshops are for girls in year six, to support them through this challenging move to secondary school.
Moving from primary to secondary school often has a significant impact on a girl’s life. The first three years can be especially challenging and a time of extreme stress.
Hanging on to old friends and making way for new ones can be a battleground for their self-esteem and self-confidence, as can be the challenge of adjusting to new surroundings and a heavier workload. They may make the wrong choices in order to feel cool and in with the in crowd. Being ‘liked’ and getting ‘likes’, changing hormones, erratic emotions, increasingly sensitive to their looks and body image, these are just some of the challenges faced by girls at this time.
During eight weeks we cover:
- What makes a good friend?
- Why being yourself is important.
- Meaningful self-evaluation criteria.
- Healthy ways to evaluate one’s self-worth.
- The power of having positive thoughts – how to reverse negative self-talk.
- Understanding and coping with stress and anxiety.
- Using breathing exercises and meditation to stay calm.
- Empathy and kindness.
- Strengthening relationships at home, listening to the ones we love.
- Gratitude and why it matters.
- Facing fears.
- Positive affirmations.
- Having healthy relationships.
- Navigating social media and keeping safe online.
“I like coming here because you won’t be judged and you can just relax and it’s just a nice and calm place to be”
Inara, age 13